On Our Haute List
Model Naomi Sims Succumbs To Cancer
Model Naomi Sims died on Saturday at age 61. Sims was considered the “first black supermodel.”
Here’s more via the New York Times:
Naomi Sims, whose appearance as the first black model on the cover of Ladies’ Home Journal in November 1968 was a consummate moment of the Black is Beautiful movement, and who went on to design successful collections of wigs and cosmetics for black women under her name, died Saturday in Newark. She was 61 and lived in Newark.
She died of cancer, said her son, Bob Findlay.
The Huffington Post has a photo retrospective.
- It’s A Boy!!!! Nia Long Gives Birth to Second Son
- Toni Braxton is M.I.A. for ‘Braxton Family Values’ Premiere
- VIDEO LOL of the Day: Anti-Lace Front PSA
- Eddie Murphy Resigns as Host of Academy Awards
- Report: Rick Ross Unconscious on Flight; CPR Performed
- Update: Empty Bottles of Prescription Pills Found At Vesta Williams Death Scene