On Our Haute List
Wyclef To Run For President Of Haiti
As expected, Wyclef Jean announced today that he will run for President of his home country of Haiti. The musician has been a long time activist in his homeland and has ramped up efforts to help Haiti recover from a devastating earthquake that rocked the country earlier this year.
He’s made several trips and raised millions of dollars for the earthquake ravaged country. He is expected to make an official announcement in Haiti.
Mr. Jean, 40, said in a telephone interview on Wednesday night that he felt compelled by the urgency of his country’s situation to interrupt his life as a musician and make a bid for the presidency.
“You can either live trying to do something or die having done nothing,” he said, adding that he did not want history to remember him as “somebody who after the devastation of the country that he claimed he loved so much just kept singing more songs.”
“I’m not running for president so much as I’m being drafted,” he continued, speaking from New Jersey. “The youth, in their mind — if I don’t come and put a perspective to things, they feel there’s no future for the country and I have to agree with them.”
- It’s A Boy!!!! Nia Long Gives Birth to Second Son
- Toni Braxton is M.I.A. for ‘Braxton Family Values’ Premiere
- VIDEO LOL of the Day: Anti-Lace Front PSA
- Eddie Murphy Resigns as Host of Academy Awards
- Report: Rick Ross Unconscious on Flight; CPR Performed
- Update: Empty Bottles of Prescription Pills Found At Vesta Williams Death Scene